We’re pleased to announce that the Skyfire team rolled out some major updates to the forecasting algorithm this week.
If you don’t know about Skyfire, it’s a sunrise/sunset color prediction service for photographers, currently with coverage of the lower 48 states of the USA. You can read more here and reviews here and here.
Skyfire now includes three distinct weather forecasting models as inputs to its algorithm, with the latest addition being a higher resolution model that has excellent cloud resolution and handles storms and severe weather particularly well.
Changes released this week include:
- An additional forecast run for sunset in the mid-afternoon
- Haze analysis to allow better analysis of pre-sunset lighting conditions especially along the coast
- Added an additional NOAA data source to the ensemble forecast which utilizes the newest weather models available
- Multi-level cloud analysis will provide greater accuracy in some of the more complex weather cases, and take into consideration when multiple cloud levels are visible
- Better handling of seasonal shifts
Skyfire is offered as an in-app subscription in TPE for iOS. There’s a free 30 day trial available, so give it a go and see if it can help you capture the best possible light!