The Photographer's Ephemeris 3D (TPE 3D) is a unique natural light visualization tool for outdoor and landscape photographers. It’s a 3D map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Watch a sunrise from the future in a rich simulation of sunlight, moonlight and starlight set against the actual topography of your planned shooting location.
Need to see when the arch of the Milky Way will rise between two mountain peaks? Need to see what time in the afternoon the valley will lose direct light in September?
Watch the light unfold under clear skies hours, days, weeks or years before you’re actually there in person.
Key Benefits for Photographers
3D mapping tools are not new – many photographers have used at least one well known program for years. Additionally, a good number of night sky apps present a 3D view of the stars, but against generic landscape or topography. We think TPE 3D offers a unique combination of benefits for photographers:
- Sun, moon and stars are shown against a 3D model of the actual landscape: you can see if the moon is next to a specific mountain peak
- Controls for date, time of day and camera position are designed with photographers in mind: it’s easy to check the light for just the time you need
- Seeing the light against a topographic map makes it easy to interpret: satellite map images often have shadows ‘baked in’
- In enhanced mode, you can control the focal length of camera, making TPE 3D useful as a guide to composition and lens selection
Key features includes:
- 3D topographic maps with simple navigation options
- Sun, moon and galactic centre continuous timeline showing key rise, set and transit events
- Full search capability to find your location (or enter decimal or DMS coordinates directly)
- Automated playback to watch a realtime or faster-than-realtime simulation of the light
- Flying mode for quick movement around a scene
- Enhanced mode for maximum topography and shadow detail
- Direct elevation control for the 3D model camera
- Camera pitch and bearing indicators
- Moon phases are rendered accurately in the 3D scene
- Zoom in/out to equivalent 35mm focal length in enhanced mode
- Daily and annual events lists
- Shared location database with TPE
- Navigation and Artificial Highlights lighting modes
- Support for multiple map pins
- User settings for controlling scene complexity
- This app is CPU and graphics intensive: modern device models provide the best user experience
- Requires an internet connection
- Does not currently provide simulation of lighting during solar and lunar eclipses
- Satellite maps are not included
- Topographic data is available only between 83°N and 83°S: data may contain artifacts and errors
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
If you have previously purchased either The Photographer’s Ephemeris or The Photographer’s Transit on iOS, you can get TPE 3D at a discount by using the Complete My Bundle feature in the App Store.
Look for the Photo Planning Tools bundle.
Pricing is subject to change, but at the time of writing, a discount of approximately 20% is available if you already purchased one app at full price, and 40% if you already purchased two.
Find out more