This evening, we released a minor update to TPE for Android, bringing it to version 1.0.5.
It’s a been a good while since the last update. However, in the intervening months, we’ve seen some encouraging growth in the user base, and some real improvements in the Android platform and ecosystem.
2011 wasn’t a great year for Android. Honeycomb and the introduction of 3.0-based Android tablets did not see widespread uptake. The vast majority of users remained on 2.2 or 2.3 devices. As things stood, there seemed to be some uncertainty around how the phone + tablet [+ ‘phablet’] Android market might evolve.
2012 turned out to be much more successful for the Android platform, with significant uptake of Android 4.x and some popular new devices hitting the market.
With those improvements taking hold, as of late last year, we started to dust off the Android code base and get it prepped for some new features in 2013. The 1.0.5 release is primarily preparation for adding some new bells and whistles to the app in the coming weeks and months.
With 1.0.5, we’ve updated all the underlying libraries in the app (e.g. the Google Android Compatibility Library), added automated crash reporting (just like Apple’s crash reporting for iOS, Google’s leaves plenty to be desired – in some ways it’s worse, prompting users to leave a message, but providing no means for the developer to get back in touch with the user – please, if you experience a crash e-mail us at Contact so we can resolve the problem for you), updating the old Android 2.x style menus to Android 3.x-based ActionBars, and more.
Also, we’ve rewritten the place name search function to call Google’s Geocoding API directly, rather than use the built-in Android SDK class, which was causing issues for a few users.
So, no major changes in functionality in this update, but the groundwork is now complete for further updates during 2013.
Please let us know what you’d like to see in future updates to TPE on the Android platform.