The Photographer’s Ephemeris (TPE) helps you plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It’s a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
TPE is a universal app with optimized user interfaces for both iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch devices.
“Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app.”
TPE’s map-based approach means you aren’t limited to a predefined list of locations, which often miss the places many photographers go. Instead, search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will be visible behind nearby hills and mountains.
“It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…”
- Time and direction of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a wide selection of map types
- Two topographical/terrain map types
- Two offline map options
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Track curent heading using compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
“One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer”
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import from KML or KMZ
- Location export via email as KML
- Display azimuths/bearings relative to magnetic north
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- ‘Golden hour’ time/duration
“One of the most powerful photography applications that I’ve seen, one that you’ll be using for years and years.”
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search: find when the full moon rises as the sun sets in a given direction
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
- Distance to the visible horizon
“a godsend of an app for forward-thinking landscape photographers”
TPE offers a wide range of map types
- Apple Standard, Hybrid
- Google Standard, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
OpenCycleMap Topographic and OpenStreetMap map types support offline map storage (so that map tiles can be viewed when your device has no data connectivity).
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Offline maps are not always available for the highest zoom levels
- Topographic maps courtesy of OpenCycleMap.org
- OSM map tiles courtesy of MapQuest.com
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- Future updates to TPE will require iOS 8
TPE for Desktop has been a favorite of photographers around the world for over five years. Now you can carry it with you.